Burglaries often increase during the sunny weather, when burglars take advantage of doors and windows being left open.
However, crime prevention doesn’t have to cost a lot of money – taking simple measures such as locking your doors and windows, not leaving valuables on display and using your alarm can significantly reduce your chances of being a victim. Here’s some simple steps that everyone can take to improve their home security : –
- Always lock your doors and windows even when you’re at home.
- Always take the key out of the lock and keep it in a safe place – do not leave keys in reach of the letterbox, a cat flap, or on view through a window.
- Make sure items such as car keys, laptops, tablets, phones and cash cannot be seen through a window.
- If you are out, try to make your home look occupied.
- Make sure Euro cylinder locks have achieved – TS 007 (3 star rating) or Sold Secure Diamond Standard for lock cylinders (SS312).
- If you have a burglar alarm always remember to switch it on when you leave the house or when you go to bed.
Most burglaries happen in minutes – Burglars do not want to be noticed by anyone so they tend to act very quickly and not waste any time. An intruder will specifically target homes that they deem to be easy to break into so they can be in and out in less than ten minutes. It helps to make sure your home is secure from the outside to deter potential burglars from even thinking about targeting it.